Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day One Down.

So today was the first and longest unbroken part of the trip. We were in the car for what turned out to be twelve hours with a few stops included, and I have to say, I am not looking forward to 14-hour drive from Chapel Hill to Boston this coming Spring.

We passed through West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, and, of course, Illinois—my first time being in any of these states (although I’m having an inner argument that I may have, at the very least, passed through West Virginia before. Anyone who has been with me in West Virginia, please verify). I have one word for you: farmland. We drove diagonally across a twelve-hour portion of the United States along a main highway, and that’s all we got. Farms. Silos. Cows. Trees. Fields. CORN. We did pass through Dayton, Ohio, and Indianapolis (home of Nascar, you’re welcome) and so we did see those cities, but other than that, not much. This is not to say that what we’ve seen so far hasn’t been pretty—the silhouette of a farmhouse in the middle of a field in front of an orange and deep purple sunset, with the sun peeking out from behind a blanket of blue clouds, was gorgeous (long sentence, whew). It’s just been, for the most part, monotonous.

One thing about these states—they are obsessed with Bob Evans. You know, that restaurant? I swear I’ve passed 40 of those places. Plus, there is a Bob Evans Highway, and other businesses with Bob Evans’ name incorporated. Who is this Evans guy? I’m going to look him up.

Looked him up. As you could guess, he is just a restauranteur. I just guess there would be more because he has a highway...

Today, I drove a stick shift on a main road for the first time. I was really nervous, as I have only had three days of prior training (thanks Thomas :D) and here was a big highway looming, you know? People’s lives were at stake. However, after a few shaky starts around a parking lot, I got the hang of it, and ended up driving for over five hours. I have to say, while I am still awkward and probably cause uncomfortable jolting for my passengers, I am pretty proud of myself.

Coming into Chicago was so pretty. The city was all lit up, and it was gleaming and all that good stuff. It's chilly! Definitely jacket weather, at least at this time of night. It was quite shocking as I got out of the warm car. I guess this is just a prelude to the 28 degree winters in Boston. We bought tickets to the Wednesday Cubs game, and I'm really excited. Although I forgot my Cubs hat! I am an idiot. The good thing is, I have a baseball cap with a “C” that could be all-purpose, although it really stands for “Culbreth.” Yeah, I know. Gross. Haha.

Well, if this is how long my post is for just a car trip without seeing anything interesting, I bet you all are dreading when I start seeing the cool places. Also, most of you reading this are in the future, seeing as my aunts and I are in the Central Time Zone now (I want to put a wide-eyed emoticon in, but I can’t bring myself to do it. You get the gist). How is it? Have you found a cure for cancer yet? How's Obama doing?

Bye for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment